First things first, Please indulge me, this is not my mother tongue!!
Coming from PHP and working as DevOps Engineer, this task is not as easy as i thought. So for everyone else there, I want to share ressources i have used to learn the basics (still ongoing).
The links to articles and tutorials are in the order in which I used them.
I would love to see more up-to-date resources in the comments (😘)
Elixir and Phoenix Bootcamp
The Complete Elixir and Phoenix Bootcamp: UDemy Video Tutorial from Stephen Grinder. Not for free, but worth every penny.
- Elixir Warmup
- Elixir Pattern Matching
- Testing and Documentation
- Build a Identicon Tool (like Github uses)
- Starting with Phoenix 1.2
- MVC in Phoenix
- Models in Phoenix
- Working with Postgres
- Authentication with OAuth
- Using Plugs in Phoenix
- Websockets in Phoenix
- What’s new in Phoenix 1.3
I would suggest this video course to every beginner. In the last sections you will build a complete application with some nice features:
- Authentication via GitHub
- Create a Topic and start a Discussion via Comments (live updates via WebSockets).
- Full CRUD application.
Please note: The Phoenix part is about Phoenix 1.2 (easier to learn than Phoenix 1.4)
Link: https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-elixir-and-phoenix-bootcamp-and-tutorial/ (today for 11,99€)
#Articles from Culttt
Short and easy to understand Elixir tutorials.
For me it is very good that he also explains why you need some functions or even mentioned if you actually do not use them in the wild.
Wall of links incoming…
- Getting started with Elixir
- Understanding the Types in Elixir
- Working with Strings in Elixir
- Using Tuples in Elixir
- Understanding Lists in Elixir
- Working with Keyword Lists and Maps in Elixir
- Working with Functions and Modules in Elixir
- Using the Pipe Operator in Elixir
- Functions as First-Class Citizens in Elixir
- Understanding Pattern Matching in Elixir
- Multi-clause Functions with Pattern Matching and Guards in Elixir
- Branching and Conditionals in Elixir
- Understanding Recursion and Tail Call Optimisation in Elixir
- What are Elixir Structs?
- What are Elixir Protocols?
- Understanding Comprehensions in Elixir
- Working with Processes in Elixir
- Understanding Concurrency and Parallelism in Elixir
- Using Tasks in Elixir
- Using Agents in Elixir
- Understanding GenServer in Elixir
- Organising your Elixir project with Mix
- Working with Supervisors in Elixir
- Building a Casino in Elixir
- What is ETS in Elixir?
- Working with Mnesia in Elixir
- Writing Comments and Documentation in Elixir
- What are Specifications and Types in Elixir?
- What are Behaviours in Elixir?
More Articles and Guides worth reading..
- The Phoenix overview: https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/overview.html
- Pattern Matching: https://joyofelixir.com/6-pattern-matching/
- Elixir Best Practices: When to Use Structs, String-keyed Maps, and Atom-keyed Maps (*Wayback machine .. could be slow)
- Process registry in Elixir: a practical example
- Elixir OTP applications on Kubernetes (used to learn more about registry)
- Oh, the API Clients You’ll Build (in Elixir)
Thats it, next on my roadmap: Read some books, build a personal website with Elixir and Phoenix!